Our children have returned to school, and as part of our commitment to student and community safety, the Prescott Valley Police Department offers these tips.
The Prescott Valley Police Department has two ELAN City Radar Speed Signs along Glassford Hill Road on either side of the entrances to Bradshaw Mountain High School and Glassford Hill Middle School. The visible radar readout gives motorists the ability to better monitor their speed and stay mindful of their driving habits.
Prescott Valley Police Traffic Officers will be assigned to specific schools in order to observe and enforce traffic and pedestrian activity. Citations will be issued when deemed necessary by the officers. This extra traffic enforcement is made possible through a grant from the Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.
Tips for Riding the Bus
- Make a habit of arriving at the bus stop at least five minutes before the scheduled arrival of the bus.
- Stay out of the street and avoid excessive horseplay while awaiting the bus.
- Be sure the bus comes to a complete stop before getting on or off.
- When riding the bus, remain seated and keep your head and arms inside the bus at all times.
- Do not shout or distract the bus driver.
Tips for Walking to School
- Leave early enough to arrive at school at least 10 minutes before school begins.
- Use the same route every day and always use public sidewalks and streets.
- Go straight home after school. Do not go anywhere else without permission.
- Try and walk to school with other students. There is strength in numbers.
- Recognize and obey all traffic signals, signs, and pavement markings; cross streets only at designated crosswalks, street corners and traffic controlled intersections.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street and never enter streets from between obstacles like parked cars, shrubbery, signs, etc. Never run across intersections.
- Avoid talking to strangers. Immediately report any incident of attempted stranger contact.
- Never get into a vehicle with anyone, even if you know them, without parental permission.
Tips for Drivers
- Stay alert to your actions and those of the drivers around you when you are driving.
- Don't assume that other drivers are going to do or what you think they should do.
- Always use your turn signals in advance of making a lane change or turning.
- Wear your seat belt; you can be fined for failing to do so.
- Pay close attention to and obey stop signs and traffic lights – come to a complete stop.
- Do not text while driving.
- Obey all speed limits.
- Make Adjustments for Weather.
- Be patient.
- Be predictable - don't make sudden stops or lane changes.
- Avoid operating a vehicle if you have been drinking, taking certain types of prescription or non-prescription drugs, or are otherwise impaired.
- Yield right of way - remember that you are not the only driver on the road.
Public safety is everyone's responsibility. If you see suspicious activity, report it to local law enforcement or a person of authority.
Prescott Valley Police Department can be contacted at (928) 772-9267 for non-emergencies, 911 for emergencies. You may also contact Yavapai Silent Witness at 1-800-932-3232